Obama to Lawmakers: Let's Not Miss This DeadlinePresident Barack Obama held out hope for a last-minute agreement to avoid the "fiscal cliff" of tax increases and spending cuts after a meeting with congressional leaders, scolding Congress for leaving the problem unresolved until the eleventh hour.And in his Saturday weekly address to the American people, the president said:
"The hour for immediate action is here," he told reporters at the White House. "I'm modestly optimistic that an agreement can be achieved," he said...
Obama took Congress to task for stalling on negotiations in a manner that is reminiscent of the 2011 stalemate that brought the nation close to the brink of defaulting on its debt and that hurt the economic recovery.
"This is déjà vu all over again," he said.
"America wonders why it is that in this town for some reason you can't get stuff done in an organized timetable," he added. "Well, we're now at the last minute."
You meet your deadlines and your responsibilities every day. The folks you sent here to serve should do the same. We cannot let Washington politics get in the way of America’s progress.So, said the kettle to the pot, how have you done on deadlines?
And perhaps the granddaddy of them all...
- May 20, 2011 - Washington Post - Obama misses deadline for congressional approval of Libya operations
- September 7, 2012 - The Hill - White House to miss deadline for report on 'fiscal cliff' budget cuts
- November 1, 2012 - CNS News - Obama Admin. Ignores Legal Deadline To Disclose Regulatory Plans, Economic Impact - Again
- November 2, 2011 - Sen. Tom Coburn - Administration Fails to Meet Deadlines In Its Own Health Law
- July 18, 2012 - Heritage Foundation - Obama Misses Budget Deadline—Again
- January 27, 2012 - Rep. Paul Ryan - President Obama’s Missed Budget Deadlines
- December 21, 2012 - Washington Times - Obama announces new wave of proposed regulations - "After taking criticism for missing an October deadline..."
Perhaps the Republicans can be forgiven if they do not respond with gracious acquiescence to President Obama's lecture on punctuality.
- January 22, 2009 - WhiteHouse.gov - Closure of Detention Facilities at Guantánamo. The detention facilities at Guantánamo for individuals covered by this order shall be closed as soon as practicable, and no later than 1 year from the date of this order.