FACEbook

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Votes are Already Counted

    In my About Me, I have written:
I hope to bring a unique perspective on conservative politics and culture grounded in Biblical truth.  My religious beliefs may not often be overtly expressed in my postings, but hopefully my opinions can be strong and honor Jesus Christ at the same time.  I know I will fail in that attempt as I "speak with authority."  But I recognize all true authority and truth itself has but one source, God, and He will be the ultimate judge of whether I succeed or fail.
    Lest my Counting Our Chickens and One in Fourteen posts come across as completely arrogant and presumptuous (or is it too late already?), I believe this election (and everything else for that matter,) is firmly under God's control.  The outcome is not a surprise to Him (present tense used intentionally, for He already knows.)  Proverbs 16:33 says:
The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.
    Now an election is not quite the same as "casting lots", but when 122,000,000 people or more are casting votes in fifty states with a variety of electoral vote numbers and rules, it may as well be a roll of the dice when it comes to confidently predicting the results.  But in any case, Romans 13:1 reminds us:
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
    Politicians like to tell voters, "It's in your hands now" as they head to the polls.  In a sense, in a well functioning democratic republic, that is true.  But in a larger sense, it's in His hands.  Believers across the political spectrum should find comfort in that, whatever tomorrow holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment