But today, another aspect of this hit me even harder: Is this truly what America is about in 2012? The government asking the people "what $40 means" to them? America, the country of "Give me liberty or give me death!" The country of "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." The country of "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." The country that was "conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." The country that has pledged to "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity." And now: "$40 a week means everything to me." We the People have come to this?
Unquestionably Americans are suffering, some more than others. Compared to the rest of the world, most of us are suffering far less than we think. But this is America. The land of the free and the home of the brave. Must we grovel for our Social Security Tax cut? Are we so dependent on government? For some, the answer is yes. And for far too long, the government has both encouraged and exploited that dependence. The time has come to say "No more!"
Forty dollars means nothing compared to freedom, freedom that is under assault from all levels of government, freedom that too many are too willing to surrender for nominal security. It is time to tell a different story. What Freedom Means:
- Freedom means worshipping God and practicing religion without government interference.
- Freedom means paying only what is absolutely necessary in taxes.
- Freedom means teaching my children my own values.
- Freedom means buying the health insurance plan that I choose -- or not buying it at all.
- Freedom means taking care of myself and my family.
- Freedom means being willing to die for freedom.