FACEbook

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hillary Clinton: "Retirement"? Perhaps not...

    At a flag ceremony for the United States Ambassador to Ireland, Dan Rooney, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had this exchange with a reporter:
QUESTION: So things – you’re ready – you’re back in the swing of things - 
SECRETARY CLINTON: I am back -- 
QUESTION: -- even though it’s closing down your operation? 
SECRETARY CLINTON: Yeah. It’s obviously somewhat bittersweet, because I’ve had the most extraordinary experience, and I work with just an amazing team of people. But I’m very much looking forward to doing everything we can these last few weeks to resolve and finish up wherever possible and then to have a very smooth, seamless transition to Senator Kerry to continue the work. 
QUESTION: And then retirement? 
SECRETARY CLINTON: I don’t know that that’s the word I would use, but certainly stepping off the very fast track for a little while.
     However, Mrs. Clinton has vehemently denied her intention to ever run for President again.  Via Business Insider from March 2011:
Q- Would you like to be president of the United States?
No
Q- Why not?
Because I have the best job I could ever have. This is a moment in history where it is almost hard to catch your breath. There are both the tragedies and disasters that we have seen from Haiti to Japan and there are the extraordinary opportunities and challenges that we see right here in Egypt and in the rest of the region. So I want to be part of helping to represent the United States at this critical moment in time, to do everything I can in support of the president and our government and the people of our country to stand for our values and our ideals, to stand up for our security, which has to remain first and foremost in my mind and to advance America's interests. And there isn't anything that I can imagine doing after this that would be as demanding, as challenging or rewarding.
Q- President of the United States?
You know, I had a wonderful experience running and I am very proud of the support I had and very grateful for the opportunity, but I'm going to be, you know, moving on.
Q- I asked my viewers and followers on Twitter to send questions and a lot of them said, "Ask her if she'll run in 2016 for the presidency." A lot of folks would like to you to do that.
Well that's very kind, but I am doing what I want to do right now and I have no intention or any idea even of running again. I'm going to do the best I can at this job for the next two years.
    The "very fast track" that Mrs. Clinton is getting off for "a little while" apparently does not include another campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment