FACEbook

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Mean What I Say. Unless I Don't.

   This is a fairly minor issue, and honestly I am not sure if it matters at all.  But if there has been any sure sign of when a Republican primary candidate is going to drop out of the race, it has been a declaration from the candidate that it's not going to happen:

Perry:  "Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Sunday vowed to continue his campaign for the GOP presidential nomination in Florida, regardless of his finish in the South Carolina primary." (January 15th; dropped out four days later)

Bachmann:  "No matter what happens at the Iowa caucuses Tuesday, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann said Monday she will not drop out of the race for president."  (January 2nd; dropped out two days later)

Cain:  "...there is “no way (Cain)’s dropping out” and that the embattled Republican will “will lay out his way forward” during a Wednesday speech in Ohio." (November 30th; dropped out three days later)

Huntsman:  "[Huntsman said: “I'd say third place is a ticket to ride... Hello, South Carolina!”" (January 10th; dropped out six days later)


Tim Pawlenty is the only exception I could find:  "Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R) admitted Friday he’ll have to “reassess” the direction of his campaign if he finishes poorly in Saturday’s Iowa straw poll." (August 12th; dropped out one day later)

   So, what are we to make of these statements?

Gingrich
: "“I will go all the way to the convention,” Mr. Gingrich said[.]"

Paul:  "Ron Paul said Saturday the Republican presidential race has "a ways to go" and he doesn't intend to get out or get behind another candidate anytime soon."

Santorum: "“I guarantee you, we are going to be in this race for a long time,” he told reporters[.]"

Romney:  Apparently no one is asking Romney the question...


   Is there anything more to this phenomenon than speaking positively, putting your best foot forward, and an implied "Do you think I'd tell you if I was?" to whomever is asking the question?   I guess we'll find out Wednesday morning if the phenomenon continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment