FACEbook

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Barbie and Zoey: Mother-Daughter Team For Obama 2012

    The Obama campaign website is a never-ending source of entertainment for me.  This recent blog entry is a good example.  While Barbie is the mother, it is Zoey, the daughter-half of the team, who provides the historical context for the 2012 elections:
Zoey: "We went to a house party a family friend was throwing a few months back. We both wanted to volunteer [with the Obama campaign,] so why not do it together? Being at the house party and remembering what our country was like before [Obama] took office, I knew I had to do something."  [emphasis added]
Echoes of Solzenitzen.  I wonder what the English word for "gulag" is?

But it’s this answer that really kills me:
Zoey: "My parents raised my brother and I as equals, and it's so frustrating that if we had the same job, he'd be making more money than me. It doesn't make sense.
"Also, it's terrifying to know that the rights that I've had over my body my entire life could now be taken from me. So many women before me fought so hard, and that could all be taken away from us. Every single mother in this country has battled sexism their entire life, and knowing that my mom has had to watch me fight the same fights is heartbreaking. I don't know how she's done it. She's worked so hard for me to have more advantages than she's had, yet we're struggling to move ahead."
The Obama campaign could have had the courtesy to allow the recent college graduate a chance to edit her answer for grammar, but there's nothing they could have done to mask the overwrought sense of impending doom and lack of proportion this young woman exudes from every pore:
  • "it's terrifying to know that the rights that I've had over my body my entire life could now be taken" (her entire life! all 22 years!)
  • "could all be taken away" (possibly even the right to vote?!)
  • "my mom has had to watch me fight the same fights" (is this a Sandra-Fluke-as-everywoman reference?)
  • "I don't know how she's done it" (would that Harriet Tubman had been so courageous)
  • "more advantages than she's had, yet we're struggling to move ahead" (again with Sandra Fluke?)
As I've stated before, it is not so much that there are people who feel this way that gets to me.  It is that the Obama campaign promotes these stories in order to appeal to his supporters, and beyond that, to those he hopes to win over.  Unless we are able to reach more young people with a conservative message, winning in November with Mitt Romney will not be enough.  Our country is in need of re-education (no, no re-education camps!), and Republicans and conservatives had better be up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment